Hello, Sylva First UMC Friends!
This month in worship we’re reflecting on the nature of church. We’re doing this to prepare ourselves for the dedication of our newly renovated Sanctuary at the end of the month. It’ll be a great day, so please plan to be with us:
Sunday, September 29th
10am: One Worship Service and Dedication of Sanctuary
Potluck meal immediately following
(ham will be provided – bring other dishes and desserts!)
This isn’t the only thing to look forward to in the life of our church, however. This past Sunday, we reflected on how we do church following the example of Acts 2:42-47: by devoting ourselves to the Message, caring for one another, eating meals together, and praying. Here are some ways you can do each of these; new opportunities are marked with a *. Contact the church office for details about any of these opportunities. Keep listening for how the Spirit is calling you to follow Christ as a part of this wonderful church!
Devoting Ourselves to the Message
Sundays at 9:30am: “Joyful Noisemakers” led by Stan Bienick; classroom located in the hall outside the church offices
Sundays at 10:00am: “Acts 2:42 class” led by Byrd Nicholson; classroom on the 2nd floor of the Christian Life Center
* Sundays at 10:00am: Children’s Sunday School led by Lynne Johnson and Judy Hester; classroom located in the hall outside of the church offices (starting 10/6)
* Sundays at 10:0am: “The Wired Word,” a discussion of current events and Scripture, led by Reid Smithdeal; meets in the conference room (starting 10/6)
Several small groups meet during the week; contact the church office to express interest in joining or starting one!
Caring for One Another
The Missions Committee meets every 2nd Thursday at 6:30pm and welcomes visitors! (Sandi Lewis, chair)
* The Missions Committee is providing local help this fall by assisting those with changing health or life circumstances keep up their homes and yards
Ramp Builders meet every other Tuesday at 8am at Bojangles, then moves to a job site to build a ramp for someone who is struggling with accessibility issues
The Open Door provides a free dinner and music for the community on the 5th Wednesday of the month
* Firewood delivery: On Saturday, November 9th we’ll help Cullowhee UMC deliver 125 loads of firewood to those who would otherwise struggle to stay warm this winter
Sonshine Visitation is a group of individuals who visit those who need a little extra TLC
* We’re bringing back “Feast and Fellowship”! Here’s how it works: sign up to show you’re interest, and we’ll match you with 6-8 others in the church. We’ll choose a leader for each group and then set you loose to have 4 meals together between now and the end of the year. The format of the meals is entirely up to you: at homes, at restaurants, potlucking at the church, or picnicking in the park. All are good, as long as you’re eating together!
* Treat Street Bounce House and Hot Dogs: Bring the kids from 5 – 7pm on Halloween to bounce off that candy and get a hot dog dinner!
* Water–mixable Oil Painting. OK – so this isn’t quite eating together, but still a great way to fellowship. Ardie Coughlin will be leading this painting class every Monday from 10am – 12pm. Come for the first class on October 7th to learn more!
8:30am on Sundays: meet in the conference room to pray for our worship services
11:00am on Tuesdays: meet in the second floor Christian Life Center classroom to lift up our congregational prayer needs
Join the prayer team email list by contacting Vicki Stickle at firstname.lastname@example.org