Worship with us on Sunday at 10am!
With the increase in numbers and the Delta variant, the CDC and Gov. Cooper have issued new guidance regarding masks. This includes a recommendation to wear masks indoors in public spaces in areas of "high" transmission. Our WNC Conference of the UMC has recommended wearing masks in worship - but also acknowledges that "one size does not fit all."
Jackson County is currently designated as "yellow" - significant community spread. Because we are not classified as "orange" (substantial) or "red" (critical), we will largely maintain our current approach to masks on Sunday mornings:
- As has been the case, those who are not vaccinated must wear masks indoors.
- We recommend that everyone wear masks in the Sanctuary during Sunday worship - even those who are fully vaccinated. This is partly because we are unable to socially distance in the Sanctuary, and partly for our children who cannot be vaccinated.
- As long as Jackson County remains "yellow" we are comfortable making masks a recommendation, not a requirement; those who are fully vaccinated may make the decision about masks for themselves.
- The choir and other vocalists are fully vaccinated, so may continue to lead us in music without masks.
If our county moves to "orange" or "red," it is likely masks will become a requirement instead of a recommendation during worship. Our Reopening Task Force will evaluate circumstances at that time.
This Week's Worship Service
Discussion questions for 8/1/2021 worship
Re-read James 3:1-12 and then discuss or journal your responses.
- Have you ever ridden a horse? If so, how would you describe using a bridle? What would it be like to ride a horse without one?
- What is your first memory of regretting something you said?
- What situations frequently lead you to using your words in a harmful way?
- Try saying a prayer now asking God to help you “bridle” your words this week.
- Or, take 3 minutes of silence inviting God to help you be silent at important moments in the future.
Daily Scripture Readings
Take this week to read through the short book of James. Some scholars think this was a letter meant to be distributed to many Christians. Imagine yourself as one of them. What is it saying to you?
Monday: James 1
Tuesday: James 2
Wednesday: James 3
Thursday: James 4
Friday: James 5:1-12
Saturday: James 5:13-20
- How to Bridle Your Tongue August 1, 2021James 3:1-12 “Anyone who makes no mistakes in speaking is perfect…” Well, ain’t that the truth. When I lay awakeContinue reading
- Quiet Time July 25, 2021Mark 1:21-37 So I feel like I left y’all last week like an end of season cliffhanger. I gave theContinue reading
- Quiet: How God Shows Up July 18, 20211 Kings 19:11-18 Today’s Scripture is a story about how God shows up. Keep that in mind, because we’re goingContinue reading