Worship with us on Sunday at 10am!
Due to rapidly increasing COVID numbers we have updated our church's procedures. We love it when you visit, so we want you to know what to expect!
Since Sylva FUMC is a "public space" for our congregation and community (and proud of it!), we are now requiring masks for all people when indoors, at all times. This includes Sunday mornings, weekday activities, and visits to the office. We have masks available at each main entrance in case you forget yours.
With more instances of vaccinated people passing COVID along to others it is unfortunately not in our best interest to have a choir of people singing together without masks during worship (even if they are all vaccinated). We will continue to sing as a congregation (with masks on) under the leadership of a single vocalist at a time. We're also hopeful that the choir will be able to pursue some options for singing together, such as recording anthems outdoors.
Discussion questions for 9/26/2021 worship
Re-read James 5:13-20 and then discuss or journal your responses.
- What is your prayer life currently like? How often do you pray? (Praying over meals counts!)
- James 5:13 suggests praying when you’re suffering or cheerful. Which is easier? Why?
- James 5:14 says when we’re sick we should have others pray for us. Have you ever asked the prayer team to pray for you? Why or why not?
- James 5:16 tells us to pray for one another’s sins. Who is one person you might trust to pray for your sins? Why might it help to have someone else to pray for you - instead of just you alone?
Daily Scripture Readings
Daily Suggested Scripture Readings
Today’s Scripture is one of the lectionary passages for this week. (The lectionary is the traditional church calendar that suggests Old Testament, Psalm, Gospel, and New Testament readings for each Sunday.) Try reading the other selections for this week. Do you notice any common threads between them?
Monday: Esther 7:1-6, 9-10; 9:20-22
Tuesday: Psalm 124
Wednesday: James 5:13-20
Thursday: Mark 9:38-50
Friday: Psalm 19:7-14
Saturday: Numbers 11:4-6, 10-16, 24-29
- Why & How to Choose God September 19, 2021Joshua 24:1-15 Today’s Scripture is a really good one. It includes this line: “Choose this day whom you will serve…Continue reading
- How Walls Come Down September 12, 2021Joshua 6 | Walls Come Down Joshua 6 is a simple but powerful story. It’s one of the most popularContinue reading
- How to be Strong and Courageous September 6, 2021Joshua 1:1-9 Today is the first Sunday of September. And thank goodness, frankly; August hasn’t been the easiest of months.Continue reading